Year in review, happenings, such and such


pictured: me, a week ago

2021 was an... eventful year. Certainly more eventful than 2020, but equally, if not more scarring. With wrapping up my sophomore year of college and entering my junior year, there were plenty of ups, downs, and opportunities. Didn't love it, didn't hate it though! Some sure-fire highlights were getting to interview Ilan Rubin, completing the Capstone Challenge with Braven, and managing to pull a lot of really cool things together behind the scenes I can't quite talk about, music-wise. Speaking of music, some amazing albums came out this year. My list of favorites is below.

I wanted to thank you folks for being good to me, I'm thankful I've made as many new friends this year as I have. It's been a really tough one emotionally and to have good people to turn to is a privilege. I'm glad I managed to get back to my job and glad I'm able to do what I do. A big struggle has been keeping motivated in just... all aspects of my life. I really struggled with everything this year. School, keeping friendships intact, music (shit, especially music). Being able to step back and take time for my well-being is a blessing. I just recovered from getting COVID and actually, finally getting it put a lot of stuff in perspective for me. Work stopped mattering, music sure as hell stopped mattering (at least, making it did). It was weird. I think I've put too many things that didn't matter before my own wellbeing since the pandemic started and it really hurt me more than I thought. I dunno, I'm still getting over it and word vomiting helps I guess. Still wrestling with lots of things. I can't recommend ending or starting any year with COVID, by the way, get boosted please

Anyways. Thanks. Here's some music that got me through this year. Go listen to all of it.

BEST OF 2021:
Lingua Ignota - SINNER GET READY (Kristin, I hope you're ok)
Mastodon - Hushed and Grim (Brann, I hope you're ok, too)
Lil Nas X - MONTERO
St. Vincent - Daddy's Home
Alessandro Cortini - Scuro Chiaro
Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power
Bo Burnham - Inside
Backxwash - I Lie Here Buried With My Rings and My Dresses
Tyler, The Creator - CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST
Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
IDLES - Crawler

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Radiohead - Kid A Mnesia
Silk Sonic - An Evening With Silk Sonic
Turnstile - Glow On

FAVORITE NON-2021 FINDS:
HEALTH - VOL. 4 :: SLAVES OF FEAR
The Weeknd - Kiss Land (I finally got around to this one)
Jon Hassell - Listening To Pictures, Pentimento Vol. 1
HEALTH - GET COLOR
Neurosis - Times Of Grace
Tobacco - Hot Wet and Sassy
ISIS - Panopticon
HEALTH - DEATH MAGIC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's catch up

An Interview with Ilan Rubin of The New Regime, Nine Inch Nails